Tuesday, January 23, 2007

#7

Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? or disturbing? or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you?

In this novel the most general setting is in the future society where it's illegal to read books and possess. But people like Montag, Faber, Clarisse go against this law which means there are some people who are thinking and have knowledge. In addition, I thought about what if I was in that kind of situation where I cannot read books. I think there are no beautiful settings in this novel, but the setting where Montag and Clarisse walk together the street, yard have little hope. All settings were very tragic like burning books, houses, fighting each other, and war. There are some disturbing settings and some memorable settings. Disturbing setting was when his companion burns his house and in general the community like this. Also the memorable setting was in their town after the war, when Montag and his accompanies try to change the system and build buildings. All these settings were very tragic but still meaningful to me, because it still gives hope that in any situation that's terribly tragic you still can try to go against it and it also made me think about the most memorable setting and the terrible place I have went ever in my life. And thought about settings where I have been similar to this situation such as military. After I have read this book I kind of thought that I'm living in a happy place where I can learn from books, research the history, and discuss some information together as we go on.

4 comments:

Dong Joon. said...

Robin, I read your paragraph. This paragraph is easy to understant to me, so that I could know what you feel about story. Also I could know this story takes terrible place.

ChenHsiao said...

I almost felt same as you. I was also could not accept the idea of reading and keeping books are a illegal things to do. Even though I don't enjoy reading books, I'm thankful the fact that reading book is not an illegal thing to do. I hope our future will not be like what is in this novel. Nice job.

Minji Kang said...

I agree, Robin. In countries like Russia and North Korea, I am sure they had people like firefighters who burn all the books and things that had the memory and the history of the past. That's why I feel so sorry for the people who live in Communist countries because they have no freedom and they just have to do what the government tells them to do. I also think our world is becoming like this as well - not that we are becoming Communists, but that we are becoming very lazy and government starts telling lies. I hope our country could become a better country that has clear politics and happy citizens. Peace is what I am talking about. I really wish deeply that we could live in peace.

briany91 said...

I feel the very same about this setting. Also, I think it is true that the most general stting in this book is that in the future books might be illegal. The memora ble settings you talked about it also memoralbe to me becasue can you imagine a country that has been swept of civilization? Finally, I definitely agree with you that we are liviving in a happy world.